Yes, you need a visa to enter Nepal and you can get this on arrival at the airport in Kathmandu.
What to Prepare Before You Go
You’ll need to prepare these things in advance, to make sure your visa to enter Nepal is processed quickly and easily when you arrive.
- Your passport with at least six months validity, and a blank page.
- A photocopy of your passport details page.
- A passport photo (if you haven’t completed the Online Tourist Visa Form mentioned below).
- Currency in USD to pay the visa fee ($30 for 15 days, $50 for 30 days).
We recommend that you complete the Online Tourist Visa Form* (select option ‘Visa Pre-Arrival’) available from 15 days before you arrive in Nepal. But don’t worry, if you’re only just reading this, it’s also possible to complete the form at a kiosk when you arrive. If you do complete this form online and upload a digital photo, you don’t need to bring a passport photo. But you still need to bring a photocopy of your passport details page, just in case.
Once completed, you won’t receive an email confirmation. Instead, you need to print the confirmation form for presentation on arrival (see example below).
*Check that you have a good internet connection before you begin.
On Arrival at Kathmandu
When you arrive at Kathmandu airport, you’ll need to follow this process to get your visa to enter Nepal:
- Fill in an Arrivals Card, then proceed to a kiosk to complete a Tourist Visa form (if you haven’t completed the online process at home).
- Make your payment at the ‘Bank’ and obtain a receipt.
- Proceed to the Immigration desk with all your documents.
We’ll review our information frequently. However we recommend that you refer to the Nepal Department of Immigration for the most up to date information available.
Arriving in Kathmandu – Step by Step
For more information about what to expect when you arrive at Kathmandu Tribhuvan Airport, read our blog.